Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Relaying denied. Proper authentication required"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KieferSkunk
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: "Relaying denied. Proper authentication required" Reply with quote

I just started getting this message this morning, though I've been able to send mail just fine before. At one point I had to switch to using Earthlink's SMTP server to send mail because I was using their service, and their firewall prevented me from making SMTP connections to any other sites including kieferskunk.net .

I'm no longer with Earthlink, so that limitation is gone, but apparently I can't get my client (Eudora 6/Windows) to work with Kieferskunk.net anymore. I can check my mail just fine, but I can't send - I get the message "Relaying denied. Proper authentication required."

Can someone help me figure out what the problem is here? Thanks.

(Unfortunately, I'll be out of town until Monday, so I won't be able to reply until then.)

KieferSkunk
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back, and I'm still having problems. I can apparently send mail to myself just fine, but I get the "Relaying denied" message when I try to send to anything outside of PlanetFurry/KieferSkunk.net .

Anyone?

KieferSkunk
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's bizarre... the problem appears to have just fixed itself. (Or someone here managed to fix it.) I can now send mail.

Thanks, and sorry for the spam. Smile

Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been related to either the SpamAssassin upgrade or the IP address migration. A few things to do when something like this happens are:
  • Ensure you are pointing to the SMTP domain for your site, and it resolves to the correct IP address
  • The server requires SMTP Authentication to be used when sending messages, so your email client must be able to support this
  • At the moment, SMTPS (Secure SMTP over SSL/TLS) is unsupported, and must not be enabled in your email client
  • If you continue to receive errors, and they appear to be coming from this server and not another external server, send a full copy of the message (including all headers) to [email protected]
KieferSkunk
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: *poke* Reply with quote

No, it's working fine now. Smile Thanks.

BTW, Whip, did you ever get my private-messages and e-mails asking about another site? My fiancee wants to host her own art gallery on PlanetFurry, and I never heard anything back from you or anyone else about this. I don't think she wants or requires a domain, but she would like some space.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: