Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Europe Unites in Hatred of French
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Think this article gets it right? Choices are:
True!
60%
 60%  [ 15 ]
False!
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO! @_@
24%
 24%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 25

mrblanche

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Ah, the French! Reply with quote

I may have a little different take on all this, having lived in France for year, going to college there. But it was in a small town just outside of Geneva, Switzerland.

The French are certainly characters. The great thing is they don't usually take themselves or their government seriously. They can usually laugh at their foibles. Of course, they continue having foibles!

I even found the Parisians to be quite acceptable. It IS true that if you start out speaking to them in any language other than French, you could probably starve to death sitting in a restaurant there. But if you start in French, and they see you're trying, they'll try out their English pretty quickly.

By the way, the French men think an American accent on a young lady is very "cute."

I would recommend the book "Major Thompson's Notebooks" for a real view of their own self-deprecating humor. In French, that's "Les Carnets du Major Thompson," by Pierre Daninos. He points out all their little foibles.

I suspect a lot of the problem of the French people's popularity around the world is their strange sense of humor. I mean, they think Jerry Lewis is the greatest comedian to ever live!

They are, however, indubitably the most feckless soldiers ever known to man, and all the jokes about their tanks and rifles are probably true!

Just enough to draw a crowd.
--Mr. Buffett
Joshua Fox
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ah, the French! Reply with quote

mrblanche wrote:
I may have a little different take on all this, having lived in France for year, going to college there. But it was in a small town just outside of Geneva, Switzerland.

The French are certainly characters. The great thing is they don't usually take themselves or their government seriously. They can usually laugh at their foibles. Of course, they continue having foibles!

I even found the Parisians to be quite acceptable. It IS true that if you start out speaking to them in any language other than French, you could probably starve to death sitting in a restaurant there. But if you start in French, and they see you're trying, they'll try out their English pretty quickly.

By the way, the French men think an American accent on a young lady is very "cute."

I would recommend the book "Major Thompson's Notebooks" for a real view of their own self-deprecating humor. In French, that's "Les Carnets du Major Thompson," by Pierre Daninos. He points out all their little foibles.

I suspect a lot of the problem of the French people's popularity around the world is their strange sense of humor. I mean, they think Jerry Lewis is the greatest comedian to ever live!

They are, however, indubitably the most feckless soldiers ever known to man, and all the jokes about their tanks and rifles are probably true!

Hmmm. A very interesting take, mrblanche. Thanks for the input Smile

"This is PNN".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
beno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the article. They can be a bit full of themselves. It's not that I hate them, they can just be really annoying.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Dead Threads All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: