Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Character discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Character discussion Reply with quote

I'm going to take the plunge and start this thread myself.

The reason is that I badly need peoples feedback on what they think of the characters in the story, and how I portray them. This includes both my own, original characters, and those borrowed from others with permission.

It's necessary for me to say that my main source of inspiration for Zig Zag's behavior has been Sabrina-online, rather than ZZtS although quite a few elements from that story appear in mine as well. I have to underline that to avoid confusion since I know it caused my proofreaders a few headaches before I clarified it.

That aside, I'd very much like to hear what you all think...as an ongoing discussion, as you read the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the whole the characters are very well done. Gabby's "brattiness" is a little over the top, but not so much that it becomes unbelievable.
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is a biased inclination towards my distant kin, but I'm liking Esteban more and more every time I meet him. He's a gentlefur with just enough of a machismo twist to make him really cherish his lady, without going to odd extremes. I like his attitude and cavalier open-mindedness. I'd love to buy him a drink someday...

To echo what Nameless said, your character development is great. With each passing chapter your major players become more and more three-dimensional and approachable. I fully expect to meet Gabby one day!

Keep 'em coming, Aslaug. Great work so far.

SC

D.F. Thompson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love Gabrielle. Her attitude is fits her perfectlly, after all she is a bronco. Jean Ya just wana wrap your arms around her and try to protect her from the mean ole world. Esteban Hey Amigo, Viva la Rossa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When re-reading the story, I suddenly remembered a comic which has maned wolves in it...

http://pawz.keenspace.com/

Please don't let Esteban see it... Twisted Evil

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of the characters are very well done myself. Gabby is the perfect version of the person that is so sure of themselves, but not snobbish. Jean..well, Jean is Jean. Someone most of us can probably relate to, with problems and doubt of our own in diffrent ways.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a question:

As far as I can tell, Gabby has hooves. Does she wear shoes? Or horseshoes? Do the other furs (those who don't have hooves) wear shoes?

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good question. Actually, Gabrielle and other equines, in my version, wear horseshoes. Hooves are bone, and it protects them from wearing them down on asphalt and other unnatural surfaces. If you recall, Roxanne is described as having platinum nails in her shoes.

Other furs wear shoes. Specially made. Canids use one model, Lapines another and so on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
Very good question. Actually, Gabrielle and other equines, in my version, wear horseshoes. Hooves are bone,...

Not bone, cuticle (nail or claw), or as Webster defines it, "curved covering of horn".

shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that explains why horses make such a fuss about a split hoof. that has to be the worst hangnail ever imagined. I mean,,it hurts spliting your nail lengthwise, and if a hoof is just a large thick nail....*shivers* That just hurts thinking about it. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AmigaDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looking the word up in Webster just now, I may have been wrong to use the term "cuticle", but the rest of what I said is right. Nail, claw, hoof and horn are all made up of keratin (usually, but some horns are actually bone).
shadowjaguar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right by calling it a cuticle mostly. If the hoof was made of bone, you wouldnt be able to trim it. Its dead cells just like your fingernails. But this is going just a tad bit off subject...sorries! Silenced
AmigaDragon wrote:
Well, looking the word up in Webster just now, I may have been wrong to use the term "cuticle", but the rest of what I said is right. Nail, claw, hoof and horn are all made up of keratin (usually, but some horns are actually bone).

Aslaug
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk...about a hangnail indeed. Oh good -grief- it aches to just think about it.

All the more reason to wear proper horseshoes.
James R. Lane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslaug wrote:
Talk...about a hangnail indeed. Oh good -grief- it aches to just think about it.

All the more reason to wear proper horseshoes.

I grew up around horses, and the horses' "foot" is actually just ONE TOE; the hoof a really big, thick "toenail". Horses that travel on pavement a lot often have "rubber" horseshoes, which keep them from slipping on the slick, oftentimes wet pavement, but those "rubber" shoes wear down quickly and must be replaced. Otherwise, shod horses wear iron horseshoes, which are noisy and mar flooring and pavement---but "wear like iron".

I'd think that morphic equines would wear some kind of rubberized contact surface, both for traction and for non-damage to flooriing---not to mention STEALTH... *heh!*

and
"Lifetimes"
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James R. Lane wrote:
I'd think that morphic equines would wear some kind of rubberized contact surface, both for traction and for non-damage to flooriing---not to mention STEALTH... *heh!*

*Blink* A Stealth Equine? (Pictures a large equine in a black ninja suit, moving silently along until the warrior steps on a tile floor, and then sounding like a NYC carriage had entered the hall)

Hmmm, well, after reading some of Aslaug's other writing, I don't think it would matter if an equine warrior snuck up or clomped all the way, It would be a battle and a half.

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Aslaug All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: