Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Untitled Document; By DWolf.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomesticWolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Untitled Document; By DWolf. Reply with quote

Ive started working on my story, and what comes up imediately? Always with the writing blocks. Heres my story so far http://www.planetfurry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5037.

I was wondering if Anyone has a good method for working through the writers block. Ive got the Put-it-down-and-do-something-else-for-a-while thing going. Just thought Id get some other opinions.

Vee Are Are Schee
Mini-Boss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up and write. That works for me. I may feel "oh, I'm not in the mood to do the story, it'll come out horrible!" but I write it anyway and save it as a different file. Sometimes if you force yourself to write you break through the wall; other times, you come out with garbage; don't throw the garbage away, because there may be something in there you can use sometime. (to keep myself on topic, I like to keep a spray bottle of freezing water nearby; the moment my mind wanders and I think, "maybe I'll just check if I have any email first" I spray myself in the face and force myself at it. May not work for you, find your own method of slave-driving)

In writing a story sometimes I'll give it a "fake write" where I'll just write what happens, never ruminating over what word to use or what technique to do what. Generally, a really rough outline that you can go back and rework into a proper chapter.

If you're strapped on where to go, my favorite method is to pop down to the steaming hot laundry room in the dorm basement and day dream about the characters; usually, new stuff can come up from things like that. So, yes, find a place where your mind can wander and just day dream.

And, drastic though it is, I've been known to scribble "Inspiration" on a cardboard flap and beat myself over the head with it. I can never remember, however, if that works or not...
Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what works for me?

One of these usually works:

1. Play HL for an hour or so.
2. Just grab some index cards and a pen, then go watch TV or play my guitar. Sooner or later, my mind will wander onto the current scene of my story, and a note or two will come out.
3. Go for a drive. This really works well, especially if you listen to NO music the whole time. Just let your mind tinker away as you pass through the miles. (It's especially good if it's a warm day out.) Just don't fall asleep or get lost.
4. [If of age...] have a glass of wine. Sometimes, even if I already know what I need to write, a good glass of wine makes it all come through better. This is actually a widely-used and proven method. Red wine not only relaxes, but it increases your bloodflow, which is good for the "little grey cells."

If all else fails, drop it. I'm serious. Just put the pen down, turn off the PC, and don't touch it for at least a week. No matter what comes into your head, no matter how many ideas you get, don't touch it for at least a week. Take little notes if you don't trust your memory, but nothing lengthy or serious.

You'll be up again in no-time.
Drackmord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try eating spagheti topped with ice cream and marshmallows.
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh...

It was his brain that was clogged up, not his bowels....
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Alister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I've little to offer in the way of advice myself, but I do know of a good book that did wonders for me and my writing.

The Artist Way, by Julia Cameron.

This was reccomended to me by none other than Timothy Albee. I've been fortunate enough to have made his aquaintance during my time here, in Alaska. Great person, even better writer and artist! He swore by this book, and now, so do I. Give it a try!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: