Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan-fiction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
Quote:
The wolves were very lucky that their ships were not proof against EMP, otherwise (unless they had defeated the humans) their world would now be a nuclear wasteland.

Nope...
If their ships had been EMP proof, the fleet could not have been destroyed and the Phoenix would not have been able to get off Earth and safely into Hyperspace.
With the fleet still in orbit it would have been just a matter of time before the situation on Earth had decayed too far. Just think about how much goods is being transported every day by cargo ships, by train or planes.
Imagine if that amount was cut to a third, or even a tenth?

That was assuming the humans would have found some other way to defeat the fleet or at least distract them enough to let the Phoenix slip past them.

anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fleet couldn't be knocked out with EMP pulses, there would have been no reason to try and launch the Phoenix anyway.
The Phoenix' mission was to destroy the wolves spacegoing capability, which meant taking out all orbiting facilities, every spacecraft in orbit which is capable of hyperspace and preferably, any facility on the ground which could support spacecraft.
Anything else was just a bonus...

It would be impossible for a single craft to accurately target all this, even with nukes. That's why the EMP pulse attack.

The warning that was broadcast was a calculated risc to get ships belonging to other races to leave before the detonation.
(Military craft was expected to take up defensive positions, preferably with all their sensors online, so therefore even more vulnerable)

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in other words there hasn't much exposer from the hostile humans. Which is very possible. And Mike I enjoyed reading your story, hope there's more up in that brain of yours.
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
If the fleet couldn't be knocked out with EMP pulses, there would have been no reason to try and launch the Phoenix anyway.
The Phoenix' mission was to destroy the wolves spacegoing capability, which meant taking out all orbiting facilities, every spacecraft in orbit which is capable of hyperspace and preferably, any facility on the ground which could support spacecraft.
Anything else was just a bonus...

It would be impossible for a single craft to accurately target all this, even with nukes. That's why the EMP pulse attack.

The warning that was broadcast was a calculated risc to get ships belonging to other races to leave before the detonation.
(Military craft was expected to take up defensive positions, preferably with all their sensors online, so therefore even more vulnerable)

I'm figuring the "Wolves" state of the art in electronics was late 1960's/early 1970's (feels that way, anyway). At that time, the tech level here was enough to shield against distant EMP (deliberate effort by "the other guys" or the side effects of the nuke heads carried by Nike-Zeus, or equivalent (UR-96/A350 "Galosh" for the techheads) interceptors) but not against nearby detonations: To the best of my knowledge, a series of nuclear explosives, deliberately set-up for intense EMP generation (and, to a limited degree it can be done even non-nuclear) would definitely cripple the shps as described.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anthony
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cateagle wrote:
I'm figuring the "Wolves" state of the art in electronics was late 1960's/early 1970's (feels that way, anyway). At that time, the tech level here was enough to shield against distant EMP (deliberate effort by "the other guys" or the side effects of the nuke heads carried by Nike-Zeus, or equivalent (UR-96/A350 "Galosh" for the techheads) interceptors) but not against nearby detonations:

The wolves' own technology was at about that stage, yes, but much of their military hardware and ships' drives and such was bought from other races. (Unfortunately, you get what you pay for)

As for the shielding, unless you know about the EMP pulse effect, who would shield against it?

Like my Avatar?
Why not surf over to www.micecomics.com and tell Mary what a stellar job she did...
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthony wrote:
As for the shielding, unless you know about the EMP pulse effect, who would shield against it?

Indeed, and 'twas only by accident that we first learned of it. I can see where any race that didn't have a familiiarity with nuclear explosions and their effects would be caught by surprise.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> anthony All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: