Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealing with Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Dealing with Time Reply with quote

What do you think are the necissary effects of a group of people (a government or society) that has existed for a very long period of time? What do you think must be required of, or happen to, a society that has existed for more than two thousand years?

What kinds of things would expect?

Do you think that, as technology advances, the ability for a society to remain unchanged longer, becomes greater?

Do you think that the length of time that a society exists must correlate to advances in that society's technology/natural-understanding/physical-understanding?

For reference, humans have existed more-or-less as a whole for about 4-5 thousand years. The longest a single society has lasted intact is roughly only a thousand years.

So what happens when a society reaches "birthday 23,000"?
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way a society can exist for a longer time (meaning several thousand years) is by actively avoiding and working against any sort of changes. Otherwise the society will change, maybe not violently like through wars but gradually until it eventually is nothing like the one it started out as.

I think the Imperium of Mankind from the Warhammer 40.000 Universe is a good example for that. It survived over 10.000 years because changes and anything that could invluence the Imperium on a major scale like contact to non-humans (read: aliens) are forbidden.

Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, given the advances in technology, and the ability of people to spread out beyond the local planet (for sci-fi), I think a society should be able to remain relatively unchanged as a whole for a good while...maybe as much as 5-6 thousand years.

Technology has a habit of leveling off at various stages, and given the incredible advances of a society, the length of time at which that technology can remain relatively the same, can be much longer. The same goes for medicine, religion, and especially social customs.
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree. Advances in technology are a reason for a society to change. Just look at how much the advances in computers have changed the world already. Other advances as they are known from sci-fi would cause even more massive changes.

To remain unchanged a soiety must actively seek not to change, and that pretty much works only with isolating themselves as much as possible so "ailen" idea can't interfere with their way of living and not allowing technologies to advance.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any technological advance will change a society. Just think about this: Historians may one day say that (whatever they call our current culture) lasted from the end of the Second World War until 20xx. But if you look at it a little more closely, you will find that there are huge differences between our current society and the one of 50 years ago.

Spreading out to different planets, ... will also change the society (a society that is spread across several planets is different from one that is only on one planet). Also there will be differences between different planets / regions / ... as they will have different living standards, require different techniques for survival, ...
Technology can help here in some respects (terraform all planets to have exactly the same climate), but more likely it will be adapted to local conditions rather than the other way around.

As Tygon said, for a society not to change, you need someone (an organisation, not a single person (unless he is an imortal)) to keep it from changing. The most effective means to keep a society from changing are related to religion. You do the same "rituals" all the time, you do what your ancestors did, ... because they were "right", they were given by god, ...

kodayu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Time Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
Do you think that, as technology advances, the ability for a society to remain unchanged longer, becomes greater?

Personally I am pretty much convinced of the contrary. I think a society that is able to adapt itself to different technology/social changes/outside threats/... has a far greater potential of survival than a society which refuses to acknowledge the fact that everything has to change. I think our current world is a perfect example for that: There is constant technological progress and we need less and less time to adopt it into our daily lives (just think about cell phones).

I'd say a society that lasts longer than (let's say) 2000 years will most possibly become unstable due to inner conflict. A simple example: Suppose there's some technology discovered that is able to cure a certain disease but is considered unethical or otherwise rejected by those in power. Sooner or later the social pressure will most certainly mount because the people affected by the disease will demand a cure and the government (or whatever) will be forced to take action. As the pressure rises, so does the necessary amount of power necessary to keep the society in its current "satus quo". Sooner or later the whole society will be caught in a vicious circle.

So my conclusion would be: Either a society that exists that long is highly adaptive or it becomes some sort of 1984 like Tygon and Nameless suggested. But a society in a world such as 1984 will most possibly be unable to change or advance as every change could most possibly be a potential threat to the "status quo" (pretty much like the Soviet Union who fell behind on the technological level before its end). Of course it doesn't have to be a government, a religion- like Nameless suggested- would work just as well. I guess any power that could enforce a dogma would do it.

Of course that would only apply if we are talking about a highly evolved society. Primitive societies (such as the natives of the Amazonian rainforest) can remain unchanged for thousands of years. I remember a short story by the Brothers Strugatzki where a ancient old society abolished technology and simply genengineered their world into a paradise and basically returned to a primitive state without any need for change.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dealing with Time Reply with quote

kodayu wrote:
Of course that would only apply if we are talking about a highly evolved society. Primitive societies (such as the natives of the Amazonian rainforest) can remain unchanged for thousands of years. I remember a short story by the Brothers Strugatzki where a ancient old society abolished technology and simply genengineered their world into a paradise and basically returned to a primitive state without any need for change.

You're right about that. Even in much of Europe little changed for the "average" inhabitant between roman times and any time up to about 1900. I'm talking about the people who live on the land by farming. Apart from a few details and some technological advances, a farmer from the year 200 would feel right at home if he'd been transported to 1850. He'd feel totally out of whack if he'd been sent another 100 years further.

starslayer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long did the Japanese stay the same with almost no out side influence? I could be wrong but I would say that their society did not change much until the US forced them to open their borders to trade. And they were technologically advanced.

furry code: FDDcmpsw3dw A- C? D-- H-- M? P- R+++ T++ W- Z- Sm- RLU a- cln++ d-- e- f-- h* i+ j+ p* sm-
Avatar image used with permission by Jakkal check her stuff out here http://www.drakkolupen.com/main.asp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starslayer1 wrote:
How long did the Japanese stay the same with almost no out side influence? I could be wrong but I would say that their society did not change much until the US forced them to open their borders to trade. And they were technologically advanced.

They stayed the same because the ruling class limited the influence of outside ideas and advances very strongly.

I think there are three main possibilities for a society:

1) There is no (or very little) progress (technoligical/scientific/social/...): The society can stay the same or change very little for a long time. (e.g. most primitive societies)
2) There are advances but they are suppressed/marginalized by the ruling class (secular or religious). The society can stay the same for a while, but sooner or later there is going to be a massive upheaval (revolution, ...). Or, if there are other societies which advance quicker, they will eventually overwhelm such a static society.
3) The society changes with the advances. Or, if you want to look at it this way, there is a progression of similar but not identical societies, each of which is short lived. (Like the president's terms of office, each one is different, but there is no big upheaval when one ends and the next one begins, just a gradual shift).

Of course these possibilities can be mixed in various ways (rapid technological improvements change the military structure quickly, while peer pressure or the will of the ruler slows social changes down considerably)
or a society may move from one posibility to another (e.g. like Japan in your example: First there was not much technologial progress (#1), then the ruling class suppressed most progress (#2), but before the pressure became too big and a revolution started, they began to incorporate the changes into society (#3) and at a very quick rate. In this case outside pressure forced them to do so, also because their resistance to change had left them vulnerable to their more advanced neighbours.).

Shoobie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starslayer1 wrote:

About 4-5 thousand years, but they were not only partially isolated by land features, but by their society as well. The Chinese have always been isolationists.

What if the population of this society, individually, lived for more than the human lifespan (~80 years)? What if their lifespans were 150-250 years, on average?
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
What if the population of this society, individually, lived for more than the human lifespan (~80 years)? What if their lifespans were 150-250 years, on average?

Most likely the society would change slower as well. It's difficult to say how much slower (that depends on for example how much influence old people have, ...).

I think a good rule of thumb would be if you count in generations rather than years. A human generation lasts about 20 years, depending on what age women are when they have their kids.

On the other hand, the change of society is partially dictated by how much technology changes, irrespective of the duration an individual lives.

kodayu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoobie wrote:
About 4-5 thousand years, but they were not only partially isolated by land features, but by their society as well. The Chinese have always been isolationists.

I don't wanna be a know-it-all, but it was much shorter than that. The last major change in japanese society was the introduction of Buddhism which happened in the 6th century. After that time, Japan was technologically superior to most of its neighbors and was itself a major influence to them (for better or worse, such as the conquest of Korea). Even though Japan shut out most outside influences it did have sanctioned contact with Europeans (especially Portuguese merchants) which brought advanced firearms to Japan in the 17th century (Haven't you seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3?) Wink

Shoobie wrote:

Turtles! Didn't I mention turtles...? Very Happy
Basically I agree with Nameless. A long-living race is most certainly less open-minded as a short-lived one (why change? we can grow old without any modern rubbish!)

Actually I thought of another alternative for an ancient old society/civilisation: If the species consists of very few member (in comparison to humans) which live apart and have little contact, there won't be much of a change at all, as change would need communication. After all the fast changes of our own societies are mostly driven by the acceleration of means of communication.
[On a sidenote: Any kind of restrictive regime has to control communication first of all.]

Shoobie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm prepared to go into about 6 different tangents on this topic right now, I'll just pick one for starters...

Generations.

A conservative human "generation" lasts about 25 years. The average human lifespan is now up to about 80 years.

Now lets say you have a race of people who typically live 300 years on average. We could roughly say that since they live 3.75 times longer, that their generation COULD be 3.75 times as long (about 95 years).

This would mean that in a thousand years, for humans, you'd have 40 generations. For those living 300 years, you'd only have 10.

Then lets consider that, if you live 300 years, how much time does one spend in the different phases of life? For instance, lets assume that you spend the same amount of time as humans growing to adulthood, (about 18-25 years). And let's assume that you only begin to reach what we would call "old age" at past 240-250 years of age, or later. So essentially, you have a race that has a "productive period" of life spanning about 230-225 years. So you could considerable increase the "generation" span for that race.

Then what?
Tygon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In such a case I think the changing of a society would indeed slow down. So far I thought we were taking actual humans as example.

However, I still stand with my statement that unless a society actively seeks to remain as it is it WILL change. Increased lifespan would slow it down, yes, mostly because as people grow older they are less and less willing to change. But even within a generation a society can change notably. Take Germany for example. I am going to turn 25 this year so I have spend a generation here and I have seen change. Like all first and second world counties it changed as technology changed but not only that. In the 90s we have seen a massive increase of immigrants to Germany and with them and the culture they brough with them Germany changed. I don't know if it changed for the better but that is my personal opinion and doesn't matter here.

What I mean to say, things happen that MAKE a society change unless they are actively worked against. Longer generations means that there is more time for these events to occur.

kodayu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over all, I agree with Tygon.
Of yourse, a longer generation span will slow down changes in a society, especially as single individuals are much less willing to change their lifestyle or to adapt to new situations. We are much more flexible when we are young and the older we get the less we are willing to adapt to new situations (unfortunately). Of course, I don't know if that's just a symptom of age in general, or maybe if it is a general princible that an individual will begin to neglect sensations or new experiences in order to preserve its memory from overflowing (that would be a subject for cognitive/perceptive psychology).
If it's the first, then this society would change with similar speed as ours, because this species only has a very short period of actual aging in comparison to its lifespan. If you would rather opt for the second explanation then of course, the development of this species would slow down considerably, because this society would have relatively few young members which were still able (and willing) to explore new possibilities. So basically the change of the society would slow down considerably, at least in all matters that affect its hierarchy and its general "modus operandi". Of course, changes throughout technology would not still occur.
Maybe there are other possible explanations I did not think of...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Writer's Guild All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: