Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Updates, Short Story Notifications, and Everything Else
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat The Fox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have your plate full for a while Smile

I wish my mind was full of such creativity...I haven't written for my own story in months

fuzzy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, send her over to give mine an assist. with my schedule she's ahving problems.

Cateagle

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope you manage to write down all of that.

But You're not the only one who has such problems...
(Especially bad if your Muse throws ideas at you and you're so smashed and down because of other reaseons that you can't write at all for weeks.) Crying or Very sad

Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Slight tweaking on my (currently) only one-shot story Reply with quote

Hello folks.

Never mind why my next installment of FDTH is late- I'll explain that later (when I can come up with an explanation...) Laughing

I do want to say that I've done a bit of tweaking to "Home Alone", and if you haven't read it, it'd be a good time to take a look. If you have, what I've added to it is likenable to adding a pinch of salt to an already finished dish- just adds a touch more flavor. Overall, I've not changed anything dramatically, but I've smoothed out a rough edge or two that had seemed to be glaringly obvious to me in the re-reading I gave it recently.

I've also suddenly thought of a follow-up story to this one, which would then make this *not* a one-shot. My Muse is saying that I could go for it, but then again, I could let things rest as they are. What do you think? Do you want to see anything of what could come next? and if so, what might you want to know?

In the end, read, if you will, and let me know your thoughts on the matter.

-Shirh Khan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was told after my one-shot romances, when one was possible for further exploration:

Do it only if you think the story is compeeling enough, either to you or...well...to itself. If it simply MUST be written, then write it.

You're good enough that I think the follow-up will be as good, if not better. (Personally, I'd like to take a baseball bat to Regina...I'm betting she's left a string of destroyed lives behind her, and refuses to take responsibility.)

Galadrion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the follow-up involves Darvin and Abigaile... forget it. Whether it involves them getting back together, or even meeting up again on a semi-regular basis, no. Darvin is right: she's no longer a part of his life, and for them to try to change that would ring hollow. He's made his choice, and whether it's good, right, proper, or the exact opposite of any or all of them, for him to change it now would invalidate his character. And he's too solid a character for that to fly.

If there is to be a follow-up, I think it should definitely involve Regina. Whether it's with Darvin - and it would be acrimonious, to say the least - or with Abigaile - and it would likely still be negative - it could make an interesting story... but it would be tough. Tough to write, and (likely) just as tough to read. As Kinsfire said, she's probably left wreckage strewn behind her, all the while hiding from her own culpability under the bloody banner of "it was for their own good", and for it to be a - well, satisfying is probably the wrong word - workable storyline, the consequences would need to finally begin to come home.

Now here's a question. Post-Coming Home and Abigaile's messages to their one-time mutual friends, would any of them try to get back in contact? And with which one - him or her? Would any of them offer Darvin their apologies? And would he accept them, or not?

Personally, unless you have a very solid idea for a follow-up, I'd leave it be. Part of the strength of this piece is that it makes the reader think - about what the characters have been through, then and now, and about what the possibilities are and aren't. In life, not all the questions are answered. Not all of them have answers. And in the most powerful fiction, that holds true as well.

Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: My Muse isn't playing fair.... Reply with quote

Galadrion wrote:

Now here's a question. Post-Coming Home and Abigaile's messages to their one-time mutual friends, would any of them try to get back in contact? And with which one - him or her? Would any of them offer Darvin their apologies? And would he accept them, or not?

Believe it or not, that was what the subject of the potential story was, in my mind-- though I'll say for the record, now, that I've had a bit of time to think about it, and I don't think I'll be writing a second part- though I have a title already handy if I suddenly change my mind again ("Confronting the Truth").

What had come to mind, initially, was somehow arranging for Darvin and Joe to meet up again- maybe in the wake of the letters that Abigail has been writing to folks- with the intent that Joe try to offer his apologies to Darvin. The appeal came from the standpoint of watching it in my head like a movie- watching the interaction between the two males, and potentially revealing things that could make it interesting.

To watch, that is.

The more I thought about putting it down on paper, the more that a) I felt like I'd be reaching for the story, rather than having it congeal into a cohesive form in my head, and that b) anything I could do, to further the storyline, would be trite, contrived, and quite overdone.

Galadrion does have the right of it- life isn't as nice and neat as the sit-coms we sometimes love to watch. So why should my writing?

-Shirh Khan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Galadrion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't nuthin' wrong with the occasional sitcom - hell, I Love Lucy. (Very Happy) And you could, I'm certain, write those with as much skill as you do in the stories you already post.

My concern with this particular question is whether you could keep going at the same level. I'm not sure it's possible. This one was written to just about the practical limit - to make it any more intense would make it unbelievable, I'm thinking, and that would destroy one of the cornerstones which makes it such a strong piece. And to continue it... well, you'd be faced with a choice: raise the intensity (and how you could do that without crossing the line, I haven't a clue), or decrease it - and that appeals even less.

One possible idea, if you still want to explore a possible Darvin/Joe reunion - bring it in as a cameo. As far as I can tell, Darvin's current location isn't tied down in the story - shoot, even the hometown isn't really tied down, beyond being labled a "college town". If the ramifications of such a meeting just won't stop niggling at you, go ahead and write the scene - and think about how you could work it in somewhere else. Since it won't be a central aspect of another story, there won't be the same pressure to keep the intensity ratcheted all the way to the top of the dial - but it could still provide a powerful counterpoint to something else.

Kinsfire
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sneaking suspicion that I know which college town...LOL

Part if ME wants to write a short story where Darvin runs in to Regina. Possibly Sister Mary Regina.

Imagine THAT interplay...

Galadrion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roast penguin, anyone? Twisted Evil
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: The Dawning... Reply with quote

And just like that, the siege has been lifted.
The block that I've been trying to lift for the past six months-- and it has been that long; FDTH 46c was practically completed last July-- seems to have crumbled, and I'm tentatively starting on chapter 47 of FDTH now; that may bode well for the other three or four writing projects I'm working on still-

-Path of the Kitsune, interim chapter 6/7, Heat part II
-Downfall (a Trouble's Tails Universe story)
-WAY (I won't reveal what that acronym stands for- just know that Shirh Khan will feature in that one)
-Second Chances, chapter 2

-but we'll wait and see what comes of my fledgling efforts to pound out another FDTH chapter. If that works, then maybe I can officially welcome my Muse back from the extended sabbatical she took (and without telling me- I think I'll need to punish her for that), and get back to doing what I seem most capable of doing: writing a decent story.

In the meantime, hope and pray, and I'll do my best to finish this, and have it posted, within the next 30 days.

Shirh Khan

Styx
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back Shirh, I was starting to wonder if you were going to come back to us.

Cateagle
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*chuckle* After our conversation last night, I'm curious as to whether any of the material I shared was of assistance here?

Cheers,
Cateagle

SkunkFox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*just snickers at Shirh* Told you a fluff peice would help. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: WAY Reply with quote

Now, remember when I mentioned to you that I had a story idea-- called WAY (and I wouldn't tell you what the acronym stood for??) that I was toying with?

Well, now it's posted!
Well, the first chapter of it, anyway.
In any event, now you can read what all the (minor) fuss is about. Please do read, and then come back here- well, to the appropriate topic header, anyway- and let me know what you think of my new story beginnings.

Tail High!!

-Shirh Khan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> shirh khan All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: