Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire On High
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're one up on the rest of us, it seems, Leonato. Don't spill the beans, or you might find a Vulcan cannon pointed your way courtesy OBA! <laughs>

It's been a bit quite around the hangar, Tigermark. When are you going to drop the next chapter on we frustrated furry aviators? I've got one in the hangar and the other should be there. We *need* some more flying!

<yanks on tiger's chain one more time, then runs off giggling>

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay! Yeesh, a vacation and hard drive crash slows down the writing a bit. Chapter 10 is nearly ready. I just have to let my edit crew have a look, and figure out why it shows up with all those question marks in it when I check it in my browser. Hope to have it up by early in the week.

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Leonato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also has the same question marks in my browser, as best I can figure, somewheres the ISO standard of display is either not set, or more likely, set wrong. If ya want, I can give the source a bit of a lookover, but its showing up in all chapters. Its not affecting my book-on-tape reading, I can read-arround alot of crap, but just so ya know, I see the problem in all the chapters that are up. As I suspect, its probably the ol codepage that has been selected. Websites, webservers, and clients all use standard ISO standards for 'codepages'... in other words... 'this byte means this'. This is how we can have Japanese characters displayed in places sometimes, ya just re-map the ASCII codepage for the different symbols. If the wrong one is selected, it can confuse the browser when it sees a byte that has no character asigned to it. Out of slight curiosity TM... did you use M$ Word to make the pages?? I know its nutorious for over-formatting things like quotes, and useing M$ specific codepages to house the special quotes they use. For example, Word will have 'direction sensitive' quote characters. So "This" would have its first set of quotes leaning in twards the word, and so would the end quotes. Stupid really, and it causes more problems than it fixes IMHO. But meh... I'm rambleing... tis what happens when I wake up when I dont feel like being awake ::grins:: Hope ya get it figured out Smile

PF's resident Lynx-Domestic reader-DJ,
Leonato

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Leo. Yes, I develope in M$ Word html, but then I use Dreamweaver to "clean up" the html code and get rid of the extraineous crap. I checked Whip-Lash's fix (se "Site Problems" forum) and my ISO code is the correct one. Don't know yet what to try next.

Since it seems to be a problem across all my chapters that wasn't there before, I'll go ahead and post Chapter 10 after my proofers/editors get done with it.

TM Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Leonato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it cleared, one way or another, it cleared. Maybe it was something whip did?... maybe not, all I know is, they all look spiffy now Smile

PF's resident Lynx-Domestic Reader-DJ,
Leonato

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my avid (or should that be rabid?) readers, Chapter 10 is up for public consumption. I hope y'all like it! Oh, and a BIG thanks to Whip-Lash for clearing up the coding problem. Very Happy

Tigermark (OBA? *looks around for JB, but only the tiger is there* Me?)

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been mollified slightly, thanks to "Change of Direction." There wasn't enough flying (is there ever?), but the story had me sitting on the edge of my seat none the less.

It seems that piece-of-work Mastifson has done his homework well. Alex appears to be backed into a tight corner. In spite of Scatcat's offer, I don't see much of a productive future in the USAF for Alex. It seems that, barirng the sudden disappearance of Mastifson and his accusations, there is a retirement in Alex's near future.

Poor Tia. Like most femmes her age, she believes all the crap that her peers want to tell her about herself, inspite of her own obvious beauty and intelligence. She is indeed fortunate to have a mom like Jenna who can pull herself out of her own battles long enough to lend her the strength, encouragement, and support she needs at just the right time.

And then on top of that, to hear about grandpa! Emotions were indeed thick, but well controlled. I was proud of all three of them. That must have been extremely tough for Jenna to relate, so close on the heels of Jason's death. What a great opening scene, well written!

Tell me, Tigermark, where did the name Altaisokova come from? It sounds *very* Russian, but I'm unfamiliar with it. Perhaps an old general from the red air force's history books?

It must have been difficult for Anton to keep his own health problems out of sight when his uncle disclosed his limited days remaining. How sad. Hopefully we will get to know both of these furs a little bit better before they pass from the scene (bad pun, unintended). There are very few Russians in the furry genre, I'm interested in learning more about Anatol and his family history.

And finally there is the scene where Jenna literaly bumps into the wolf in the market. For some reason this brief scene, more than any other in the whole chapter, bothered me. Maybe I'm being a protective old canine, or maybe my hackles are up for a reason, I don't know. The wolf's demeanor bothered me, and the whole thing smelled "staged" to me. Maybe I'm way off base, but I felt myself wanting to take Jenna by the paw and say "ignore him."

Finally, Alex's self control is masterful. Instead of "airlifting" office equipment he caried his rage out to the jogging trail and vented his anger on a tree. (Note to OBA - where I live State Fish and Game would have been all over Alex like flies on dead fish, military base or no. California *is* a wierd state, after all...) Given that the rest of his life as he had foreseen it had just been obliterated, I though his actions remarkably self-controlled.

But did he fall asleep or pass out? Did the botttled rage press a hitherto unknown button in his head that opened a couple of relays that should have stayed closed? Is there a health issue hinted at here? I, for one, have never seen a sleeping feline of any type hanging by it's claws from a tree, or anything else, for that matter. Did Alex wear himself out, or is something else at paw here?

Great... now I'm going to worry about that for two weeks. C'mon Tiger, time to crank out # 11! <winks>

Thanks for the great reading. Each chapter is better than it's predecessor.

SC

The Silver Coyote

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh... and by the way Tiger. Yeah, you. OBA. Get used to it!

<laughs>

SC

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Silver Coyote wrote:

Tell me, Tigermark, where did the name Altaisokova come from? It sounds *very* Russian, but I'm unfamiliar with it. Perhaps an old general from the red air force's history books?

Altaisokova is a Russianized version of the precise name for the Siberian Tiger. Pantera tigris altaica. You'll find out later how his nephew's family ended up as O'Whitt, instead.

The Silver Coyote wrote:

I'm interested in learning more about Anatol and his family history.

You will.

The Silver Coyote wrote:

And finally there is the scene where Jenna literaly bumps into the wolf in the market. For some reason this brief scene, more than any other in the whole chapter, bothered me. Maybe I'm being a protective old canine, or maybe my hackles are up for a reason, I don't know. The wolf's demeanor bothered me, and the whole thing smelled "staged" to me. Maybe I'm way off base, but I felt myself wanting to take Jenna by the paw and say "ignore him."

Which she does, basically. The meeting was totally random.

The Silver Coyote wrote:

But did he fall asleep or pass out? Did the botttled rage press a hitherto unknown button in his head that opened a couple of relays that should have stayed closed? Is there a health issue hinted at here? I, for one, have never seen a sleeping feline of any type hanging by it's claws from a tree, or anything else, for that matter. Did Alex wear himself out, or is something else at paw here?

Alex basically fell asleep from pure exhaustion. he'd just run three miles at top speed, not the usual measure runner's pace, and tore into a very large tree. Plus, the amount of energy expended dealing with the emotions he was experiencing. He *sort of* fell into a dreamlike state, halfway between sleep and conciousness.

Thanks foor the read and OA! Ch11 is in the data entry phase as we speak.

Tigermark

Aramis Dagaz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
OBA? *looks around for JB, but only the tiger is there* Me?

Hey, this is your forum, so you have the title of OBA, TM. When you visit the King of O'erdere, you treat him with the respect due to him, but when you return home, *you* rule (with the consent of the Queen, of course Laughing ).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Leonato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM... sorry I missed you in Nashville today, that would have been a BLAST could we have worked it out... but I was way out of town by two hours west at that time. WONDERFULL chapter, I tore right through it. I got my cookie at MFM 8, knowing some of the things that are comeing, and I wont let onto any of em. But I can see how things are starting to come together, and there were a good many 'A-HA!!!'s from me when reading. All in all, this story has fast become very captivateing. And though I may never reach SC's level of OAership, I'll atleast give it a go from time to time Wink Thanks for writeing what you have written, and continueing to write TigerMark! You got ya a following now, and we wont let ya rest! Twisted Evil

PF's resident Lynx-Domestic Reader-DJ,
Leonato

Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my ravenous following, of, oh, a dozen or so (LOL) Chapter 11 of Fire on High is up, and all links are active. Happy reading!

Tigermark

JediFur

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an excellent chapter, a nice change of pacing from the high speed action that you were maintaining for the last few chapters.

I look forward to seeing the advancement of the plot shift at the end of the chapter...

Well done!

-Jedi
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Shocked Oh. Some interesting names are popping up. Very Happy Seems some of the furs here are related to a rather well known skunk femme. Razz

Sounds like Mastiffson might soon get another chance to wreck another pilot's life or three.

Leonato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink OBA, ya dun dun it again. Darn good chapter! And as before, this chapter is keeping us all on the edge of our seats. But I must say, after reading the name: Ahlanna ?Loni? Lyntica, and finding out that she is a real looker of a Lynx... I begin to wonder if OBA isnt trying to hurt me Twisted Evil Carefull lest ya make my foxy jelous ::chuckles:: And I -think- I can pronounce that name, after all I was able to handle Altaisokova, after a little practice. And I must say, my oppinion of Talia dropped a couple notches in this chapter as well, seems she is just one more of the closed-minded folk. Good work man! Its a great chapter! And I look forward to reading it outloud! (Once my <censored> desktop is fixed Crying or Very sad ).

PF's resident Lynx/Domestic Reader/DJ,
Leonato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> tigermark All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 3 of 64

Jump to: