Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User BBS storage quotas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: User BBS storage quotas Reply with quote

*Ahem*

Upload Quota:
0% 50% 100%
[Uploaded: 30.67 MB / Quota: 5 MB / 613% of total]

Uh somebody fix this.
Nite
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I noticed that Whip downgraded the storage quota from 1024 MB to 5 MB. Apparently, the file attachment module must not check if you're uploading when you're over the limit... that's a bug in the module, not the actual phpBB core.
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it states that I have exceeded my storage limit by 513%, file or
attachment size, if I could remember correctly was limited to 1MB.

-sighs- it's days like these that I just feel like starting up my own..
nevermind -.-

Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely, unless it actually let you upload and post the attachment with your message, it's just saying you are over the allowed limit.

Previously, though misconfigured, users had no set limit to how much they could have attached in messages. It was defaulting to the max the BBS as a whole could use, which was 1 GB. To fix this I reconfigured the module to use the following limit groups:
  • Max - 1024 MB (Planetfurry Administrative Staff)
  • High - 5 MB (Planetfurry Moderation Staff, Site Owners)
  • Medium - 2 MB (Default)
  • Low - 256 KB (Nobody assigned yet. Used only for users who abuse the attachment module for rules which are currently being written up.)

If you have already uploaded more than this, you will have to delete older attachments to make more space available to your account. Currently there is no way to link your Planetfurry Site Account's quota to the Planetfurry BBS, and since the file repository was only growing in size and taking longer to backup, this measure had to be taken to try and trim back excessive use.

A few recommendations:
  • When uploading screenshots, try to scale them down to both smaller physical proportions as well as filesize.
  • For those with Planetfurry Site Accounts, try to use your personal site space before using the attachment module. It's likely you have a higher quota with your site account then will be available using the attachment module.

If you need a list of attachments that your BBS account is using, please PM me and I will send it to you.[/list]
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:
Well it states that I have exceeded my storage limit by 513%, file or
attachment size, if I could remember correctly was limited to 1MB.

The maximum filesize you can upload in a single file is 1 MB. This is mostly to prevent overload and timeout issues with the code.
Ryan Fox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm So I'll have to delete nearly 30MBs of attachments that entails renders
and snapshots of my CG work in order to use this service again. A little
harsh. And if I require more, I'll have to part of the admin group. I really
hate asking.. –sighs- Guess I'll justhave to stop posting here then.

hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, just upload them to a remote webserver and use the IMG tag command to display the picture. That's what most folks do.

"Coming to you Live and Transcribed..." - TVDave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Fox wrote:
Hmm So I'll have to delete nearly 30MBs of attachments that entails renders and snapshots of my CG work in order to use this service again. A little harsh. And if I require more, I'll have to part of the admin group. I really hate asking.. –sighs- Guess I'll just have to stop posting here then.

Not really. If you want to keep the images available, all I need to know is which ones you would like to have moved. I can then move the files to your site account and then link them back using IMG or URL tags.

I am working on a way to link site account quotas to BBS accounts, but at the moment they use two different database backends (one is PostgreSQL and the other is MySQL), and is taking some time code.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the time being I have created a temporary quota limit for Site Owners. It is set for 50 MB, which should allow you to post additional files without receiving an error about your quota limit being exceeded.

However, for those with site accounts, the less used by the attachment module the better. This isn't to have people not use the BBS attachment module, but to use existing space more efficiently if at all possible.

Unfortunately, until backups can be created on a local link to the server (right now they are done remotely, which chews up a ton of bandwidth), these minor changes will have to be made.
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
Unfortunately, until backups can be created on a local link to the server (right now they are done remotely, which chews up a ton of bandwidth), these minor changes will have to be made.

Are you compressing the backups with bz2? I know you were backing them up to your house which was a problem restoring because of the slow up-link speed. You still interested in backing up to my server?

lastly, you still planning on moving your server?

Cheers

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru wrote:
Are you compressing the backups with bz2?

Full backups using Ensim's backup software, yes. They are gzipped tarballs with a ton of extra headers. They are backed up to a local partition, which I then bzip2 to compress it a little more and download to my local system, and burn to DVD-R. I run those once a week (will probably change to every other week).

Daily backups of the system as a whole (OS, programs, logs, all sites, etc.) are done using a compressed rsync with SSH. They don't grab everything, though, since Ensim places a ton of pseudo-device and socket files all over the place. I have to individually exclude those. This does not include MySQL or PostgreSQL databases, which are done manually at the moment.

(Soon to be) Hourly backups of site data (sites, users, emails, site logs, etc.) are also done using a compressed rsync with SSH.
Quote:
I know you were backing them up to your house which was a problem restoring because of the slow up-link speed. You still interested in backing up to my server?

Due to the way files are stored, having a sync over to another server is possible, but untested. Ensim has zero support for using rsync or any other backup tool other than their own to perform backups, and definitely does not support failover, load balancing, or clustering (which is sad since most high-end web servers actually benefit greatly from a combination of the three).

I can get something setup to allow rsync backups to another server, but files would likely have to be modified after the sync to get them to work in a different environment. Sites are in a chroot environment on this server, almost like virtual servers. However, it's not a true chroot environment, since the directory structure still shows up.

For example, configuration files would have to be either maintained separately, or modified post-rsync. User authentication for services like email and FTP would be possible, but would have to be maintained separately as well. Ensim uses their own PAM module for site user authentication. Databases would be rather simple, since they have their own built-in replication functionality.

If you want to set something up to test how well a sync would work, please let me know and I'll get to work on what will be needed to be in the rsync.
Quote:
lastly, you still planning on moving your server?

Yes. Money and time have not been on my side, though. If we can get a sync'd server in place, that would greatly expidite the server move. Since a backup server would be up, the site would have minimal to no downtime, which would make the move much easier to work around.
hikaru
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat. Contact me via E-Mail and I'll get you setup with an account on my SQL host and we can get things rolling.

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: