Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Story: An Important Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should he do it?
Yes
77%
 77%  [ 7 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't know
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Short Story: An Important Question Reply with quote

The short story "An Important Question" has been posted. Smile

Does anyone have an answer?

Shirh Khan
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Drumroll please!.... Reply with quote

I say "no."

In my opinion, it' too soon; I think he needs more time to heal; once he's ready, he'd be more likely to know, without having to consider it so heavily. But, then again, I'm a proper "nut" for angst myself, as you well know, so maybe you should rethink my answer.

But there it is. Have at it. *grin*

-Shirh Khan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hortmage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A very moving, emotional story, Nameless!

I also found the literary style quite interesting. It worked well for this story.

Regarding the question in question: He definitely needs more time...to grieve, to begin the recovery process. I don't know why, but I can envision with the type of society these animal-people have, that it would be expected (or at least, not too surprising) for a younger sister to become the new wife and mom...didn't some of the pioneer families do that?

I think eventually he will come around and marry Tonya, but he'll never love her like he did Ana. Perhaps a proposal, with a long engagement to get used to the idea? Sort of "I'm not ready now, but you have my promise that we'll marry when I am ready".

Well done!

vladspellbinder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have them putting their clothes on twice

“We made love, then we put our clothes back on and fell asleep.”
“We spent another hour or so in the hay, then we put our clothes back on and left.”

Near the start, 10th and 12th paragraphs ::is counting the starting sentences as paragraphs:: Other that little redundancy it’s a wonderful story. Unless of course your alluding to the fact they undressed, made love, then dressed again but I didn’t think of that until right before posting <_< >_>…

Nicely written, though I would like to know the questions the Father asked of him. You can guess from the response but it would still be nice to know the exact wording and phrasing of the questions.

Yes I think he’ll wind up with the sister as his wife, but it will take some time for him to get over his former wife. The heart needs time to heal as much as it can before loving another…Ick, I need to wash all this sap off…

Don't mind the horns, they are only there to hold up the halo
Fiendly bloodsucker signing off for now 0>:)

P: retteb elttil a emit ruoy dneps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bearion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the choir: He needs time to heal.

The kits need to bond more with Tom and he should not consider Tanya until he has finally laid Anastasia to rest in his mind and heart. Then he can focus his feelings. Anything else wouldn't be fair to Tanya.

Great story, as always, Nameless.

Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladspellbinder wrote:
You have them putting their clothes on twice

“We made love, then we put our clothes back on and fell asleep.”
“We spent another hour or so in the hay, then we put our clothes back on and left.”

Actually, that was intentional.
The implied message is that they took off their clothes after waking up and that they made love again ("...another hour..."). Wink

Furry_wolf2001b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say: yes!

There is no hurry tho.

An engament sounds like a good compromise.

And talking about loving tanya...
Well he said he dident truly love ana at first...

I think tanya wuld help heal his wounds, and i think part of the thing that makes him hesitate is the fear of it happening again...
Dose he dare to love again, dose he dare to get so close to another person again and risk being hurt again so teribly...
Not consiusly tho i dont think.

Plus the thing is he is cofortably with the situation makes him also more scared of rocking the boat so to say...

But it is unfair to them both, and the kidds to drag things out fore too long too.

Paladin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with Furry_wolf. The situation Tom is in, is not unique. Of course he must grieve, but there is no proper time limit on grieving. It is clear and obvious that Tom will always love Ana.

Tom would have to do the best thing for his kits. The best thing for children at that O' so tender age, would be to give them a stable mother. Tanya fits the bill perfectly. The kits already view her as a 'mum'. A marrige between them is almost a definate thing, but I would wager that no hurry on the time of said marrige is neccessary.

A long 'courting' would help both Tom and Tonya heal. Tom lost his wife, but let us not forget Tanya lost her sister. The kits would bring them together. It would not be the 'love at first sight' that the animal people talk about. I truely believe that, given time, a powerfull love between Tom and Tanya would. It most likely has begun already. To deny the heart may even cause more pain to both of them, and the kits as well.

Ah well, just the rambolings of a Paladin. Most excellant as always Nameless. As soon as I started reading, I could not stop. Keep up the most excellant work! Very Happy

THE LIGHT SHINES!

We got a long way to go,
and a short timt to get there...
Cooldrew100

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most everyone here, he should but only after a while.

By the way, what were those brackets in between the paragraphs? I realize he's talking to someone, but who?

vladspellbinder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooldrew100 wrote:
I realize he's talking to someone, but who?

The 'Father' he address at the very start of the story.

I would like to know the exact wording of the Father's questions/responses myself...don't know about any of you...

Don't mind the horns, they are only there to hold up the halo
Fiendly bloodsucker signing off for now 0>:)

P: retteb elttil a emit ruoy dneps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Henry_Hound

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he should ask her to marry him but explain that he can't marry her until he is ready to. It is definately the best thing he can do in that situation. And if not so much for himself for the kits. The need a mother that will be there when they need one.
Nameless
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooldrew100 wrote:
By the way, what were those brackets in between the paragraphs? I realize he's talking to someone, but who?

Yes, this is the space where the other person talks / asks questions.
No, I don't intend to write what the other person asks. I also avoid short answers ("Yes."), so that the reader can figure out what was asked. It's the style I have chosen for this story.

From the things he says "Father" and "You performed the services" it should be clear that he is talkin to a priest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> nameless All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: