Planetfurry BBS Forum Index Planetfurry BBS
Forums for Planetfurry Site Members and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   DonateDonate   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Character Encoding Problem

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Character Encoding Problem Reply with quote

hey guys!
I know it happpens in the forums, but I just pre-posted the latest chapter in my story, and it looks fine in Dreamweaver, but when I checked it with my browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, I thinkl) All the apostrophe's and quotation markes show up as question marks. Any ideas? Here's an example:

FIRE ON HIGH

?Fire On High? is a work of fiction, and any resemblance to any person living or dead is purely coincidental. All characters and settings ? Tigermark 2003-2004 unless otherwise noted. Request permission before using them, please.

The character Anatol Altaisokova is my name for a character ? Max Blackrabbit, and appears in this story with his permission. The characters of Brandy, Maxwell, and Tonya are also ? Max Blackrabbit and appear here with his permission.

Matt Barstock and Intermountain Charter ? Silver Coyote. See their story HERE.

Chapter 10

CHANGE OF DIRECTION

??? ?Mom, it?s just so bad I?d like to run away! They all seem to stare or laugh and whisper behind my back. They don?t seem to realize that I can hear them. I?ve spent a week now hearing that, and I don?t want to go back!?

??? Tia was nearly in tears, pouring out her anguish to Jenna, who sat patiently on the couch with her daughter and listened.

? ???Tia,? she said after a moment, ?You?ve had to change schools at odd times before. You always thrived on it. I got your test scores in the mail just a bit ago; you scored so high they?re going to advance you at least one grade, possibly two. That means you?ll probably graduate high school here when you?re 16.?

Thanks for any help!
Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Whip-lash
Kneel before me... for I am Root!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem should be fixed now. Apache 2 had a setting that forced all pages to use a character encoding of UTF-8 (Unicode), which caused the Content-Type META tag in your HTML (or anyone elses) to be disregarded on output. For example, the Plantfurry BBS has the encoding set to ISO-8859-1 (which can be confirmed by looking in "View Source" for any page.

I have just disabled this setting, so whatever your HTML has set it should display correctly.
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whip-lash wrote:
I have just disabled this setting, so whatever your HTML has set it should display correctly.

Whoops, I was just notified that disabling this setting is a security risk. Instead of disabling it entirely, I have set it to the "default" setting, which is ISO-8859-1, which should display the characters you have on your pages just fine.

This does present another problem, though. For those pages which do not use ISO-8859-1, such as UTF-8 or others, their pages are likely to be broken now. Here is the fix.

If you own a domain or user site and cannot use the default encoding ISO-8859-1, you can change the default for your site or a directory in your site by adding an .htaccess file to your web root directory (or other subdirectory) with the following contents: (this example changes the default to UTF-8)

Code:
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

Of course you will want to change this to your desired character encoding set name.
Tigermark
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I just checked it and all the question marks are still there, in all my chapters, but not my main page or chapter index page. I double checked the source code and it is ISO-8859-1.

heh, what now, Kemo-sabe'?

Tigermark

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
... I just checked it and all the question marks are still there, in all my chapters...

Try clearing your browser's cache and completely restarting it. Since the page contents haven't changed, your browser is likely still using the old encoding that the server sent through the initial request(s).
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigermark wrote:
... I double checked the source code and it is ISO-8859-1.

The web server's "default character encoding" should actually be labeled "forced character encoding", which is why no matter what you have in the Content-Type META tag it always uses what is defined in the web server's default encoding, which is now ISO-8859-1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I give a grateful bow of thanks, Whip. You are truly the Web Master. The Tiger's Den is up and looking great, and Ch10 of Fire on High is out to the reading public. Thanks a bunch!

Tigermark
Whip-lash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. This should also fix some of the other problems that Mike Regan had found in the BBS, etc.

Since this appears to be resolved, I will go ahead and lock this thread.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planetfurry BBS Forum Index -> Site Problems All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: